LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) — Ticks carrying the micro organism that causes Rocky Mountain Noticed Fever have been present in south and east Louisville.
The Louisville Division of Public Well being and Wellness stated the ticks have been noticed in 40229, which is south and east of the Interstate 65/265 interchange, and 40223, which is northeast of the Interstate 64/265 interchange.
The rickettsia ricketsii micro organism is unfold by way of the chew of an contaminated tick, the well being division stated. Most individuals who’ve it expertise a fever, headache and rash. It may be deadly if left untreated.
The well being division is asking folks to take the next precautions:
- Earlier than you go outside:
- Know the place to count on ticks. Ticks reside in grassy, brushy, or wooded areas, and even on animals. Spending time outdoors strolling your canine, tenting, gardening, or searching may deliver you in shut contact with ticks. Many individuals get ticks of their yard or neighborhood.
- Deal with clothes and equipment with merchandise containing 0.5% permethrin. Permethrin can be utilized to deal with boots, clothes and tenting gear and stay protecting by way of a number of washings. Alternatively, you should buy permethrin-treated clothes and equipment.
- Use Environmental Safety Company (EPA)-registered insect repellents containing DEET, picaridin, IR3535, Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus (OLE), para-menthane-diol (PMD), or 2-undecanone. At all times comply with product directions. Don’t use merchandise containing OLE or PMD on youngsters below 3 years previous.
- Keep away from contact with ticks that may be present in wooded and brushy areas with excessive grass and leaf litter. As an alternative, stroll within the heart of trails.
- After you come indoors:
- Examine your clothes for ticks. Ticks could also be carried into the home on clothes. Any ticks which are discovered ought to be eliminated. Tumble dry garments in a dryer on excessive warmth for 10 minutes to kill ticks on dry clothes after you come indoors. If the garments are damp, extra time could also be wanted. If the garments require washing first, scorching water is really useful. Chilly and medium-temperature water is not going to kill ticks.
- Study gear and pets. Ticks can trip into the house on clothes and pets, then connect to an individual later, so rigorously study pets, coats, and daypacks.
- Bathe quickly after being outside. Showering inside two hours of coming indoors has been proven to cut back your threat of getting Lyme illness and could also be efficient in decreasing the chance of different tickborne illnesses. Showering might assist wash off unattached ticks and it’s a good alternative to do a tick examine.
- Examine your physique for ticks after being outside. Conduct a full-body examine upon return from probably tick-infested areas, together with your yard. Use a hand-held or full-length mirror to view all components of your physique. Examine these components of your physique and your youngster’s physique for ticks:
- Below the arms
- In and across the ears
- Inside stomach button
- Again of the knees
- In and across the hair
- Between the legs
- Across the waist
No human instances of Rock Mountain Noticed Fever have but been reported in Louisville.
Copyright 2021 WDRB Media. All Rights Reserved.